Infectious diarrhoea is a global problem, and Campylobacter is the most common bacterial cause responsible for ~400 million human cases every year. Despite its importance, the cellular mechanisms by which Campylobacter jejuni infection promotes inflammation and disease remain unclear. We have recently demonstrated that C. jejuni activates the host unfolded protein response (UPR). We propose that activation of UPR is the primary driver of inflammation and will investigate this by combining molecular microbiology, immunology and omics-based approaches with a novel murine infection model. Our interdisciplinary proposal will lead to a deeper understanding and better control of this important infectious disease.
1. Elmi, A., F. Nasher, N. Dorrell, B. W. Wren, and O. Gundogdu. 2020. Revisiting Campylobacter jejuni virulence and fitness factors: role in sensing, adapting and competing. Frontiers in Cellular & Infection Microbiology 10:607704. DOI: 10.3389/fcimb.2020.607704.
2. McKenna, A., U. Z. Ijaz, C. Kelly, M. Linton, W. T. Sloan, B. D. Green, U. Lavery, N. Dorrell, B. W. Wren, A. Richmond, N. Corcionivoschi, and O. Gundogdu. 2020. Impact of industrial production system parameters on chicken microbiomes: mechanisms to improve performance and reduce Campylobacter. Microbiome 8:128. DOI: 10.1186/s40168-020-00908-8.
3. Liaw, J., G. Hong, C. Davies, A. Elmi, F. Sima, A. C. Stratakos, L. Stef, I. Pet, A. Hachani, N. Corcionivoschi, B. W. Wren, O. Gundogdu, and N. Dorrell. 2019. The Campylobacter jejuni Type VI Secretion System plays a role in the oxidative stress response and enhancing host colonization. Frontiers in Microbiology 10:2864. DOI:10.3389/fmicb.2019.02864.
4. Elmi, A., A. Dorey, E. Watson, H. Jagatia, N. F. Inglis, O. Gundogdu, M. Bajaj-Elliott, B. W. Wren, D. G. E Smith, and N. Dorrell. 2018. The bile salt sodium taurocholate induces Campylobacter jejuni outer membrane vesicle production and increases OMV-associated proteolytic activity. Cellular Microbiology 20(3). DOI:10.1111/cmi.12814.
5. Psifidi, A., A. Kranis, L. M. Rothwell, A. Bremner, K. Russell, D. Robledo, S. J. Bush, M. Fife, P. M. Hocking, G. Banos, D. A. Hume, J. Kaufman, R. A. Bailey, S. Avendano, K. A. Watson, P. Kaiser, and M. P. Stevens. 2020. Genetic control of Campylobacter colonisation in broiler chickens: genomic and transcriptomic characterisation. Nature Scientific Reports. DOI: 10.1038/s41598-020-79005-7.