Forebrain evolution led to the emergence of a rich variety of behaviours and abilities across animal species, and has permitted the establishment of elaborate cognitive functions. One key developmental step in shaping the forebrain is the partition of the telencephalon into ventral (basal ganglia) and dorsal (cortex and hippocampus) compartments. This organisation is driven by “opposing” signalling centres. The studentship aims to understand how timing of signalling events and the interpretation of these vary from fish to human, driving species-specific regionalisation of the telencephalon. The student will use, animal model, 3D cell culture and mathematical models to achieve this goal.
– Bielen H, Pal S, Tole S, Houart C. Temporal variations in early developmental decisions: an engine of forebrain evolution. Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2017 Feb;42:152-159.
– Sylvester JB, Rich CA, Yi C, Peres JN, Houart C*, Streelman JT*. Competing signals drive telencephalon diversity. Nat Commun. 2013;4:1745. doi: 10.1038/ncomms2753.
– Danesin C, Houart C. A Fox stops the Wnt: implications for forebrain development and diseases. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 2012 Aug;22(4):323-30.
– Danesin C, Peres JN, Johansson M, Snowden V, Cording A, Papalopulu N, Houart C. Integration of telencephalic Wnt and hedgehog signaling center activities by Foxg1. Dev Cell. 2009 Apr;16(4):576-87.
– HA. Messal, S. Alt, R.M.M. Ferreira, C. Cotoi, G. Salbreux*, Axel Behrens*, Tissue curvature and apico-basal mechanical tension imbalance instruct cancer morphogenesis, Nature, 1, 2019(*, co-corresponding authors).
– NI. Petridou, S. Grigolon, G. Salbreux, E. Hannezo and CP Heisenberg, Fluidization- mediated tissue spreading by mitotic cell rounding and non-canonical Wnt- signalling, Nature Cell Biology, 21(2), 2019
– S. Curran, C. Strandkvist, J. Bathmann, M. de Gennes, A. Kabla, G. Salbreux*, B. Baum*, Myosin II controls junction fluctuations to guide epithelial tissue ordering. Developmental Cell 43, 480-492 e486, 2017
– H. Morita, S. Grigolon, M. Bock, S.G. Krens, G. Salbreux*, C.P. Heisenberg*, The Physical Basis of Coordinated Tissue Spreading in Zebrafish Gastrulation. Deve- lopmental Cell, 40(4), 2017
-R. Etournay, M. Popovic, M. Merkel, A. Nandi, C. Blasse, B. Aigouy, H. Brandl, G. Myers, G. Salbreux*, F. Jülicher*, S. Eaton*, Interplay of cell dynamics and epithelial tension during morphogenesis of the Drosophila pupal wing, eLife, 4. (*, co- corresponding authors)