Ageing is the primary risk factor for inflammatory disorders and is aligned with a heightened pro-inflammatory state and compromised immunity. Ageing is also associated with enhanced cellular senescence, a state of stable cell-cycle arrest that can be induced by numerous exogenous and endogenous factors, most notably the oxidative stress environment of aged tissues. Whilst many studies have investigated the impact of age and senescence on immune cell functions, less is known about the influence of these factors on vascular responses. This project will address this fundamental issue through the use of a novel mouse model of vascular ageing.
1. Carrero D., Soria-Valles C. & Lopez-Otin C. “Hallmarks of progeroid syndromes: lessons from mice and reprogrammed cells”. Dis. Model Mech., 9:719–735, 2016.
2. Sun S., Qin W., Tang X., Meng Y., Hu W., Zhang S., Qian M., Liu Z., Cao X., Pang Q., Zhao B., Wang Z., Zhou Z. & Liu. B. “Vascular endothelium–targeted Sirt7 gene therapy rejuvenates blood vessels and extends life span in a Hutchinson-Gilford progeria model”. Sci. Adv., 6:eaay5556, 2020.
3. Tyler E. J., Gutierrez Del Arroyo A., Hughes B. K., Wallis R., Garbe J. C., Stampfer M. R., Koh J., Lowe R., Philpott M. P. & Bishop C. L. “Early growth response 2 (EGR2) is a novel regulator of the senescence programme”. Aging Cell 20(3):e13318, 2021.
4. Girbl T., Lenn T., Perez L., Rolas L., Barkaway A., Thiriot A., del Fresno C., Lynam E., Hub E., Thelen M., Graham G., Alon R., Sancho D., von Andrian U. H., Voisin M-B., Rot A. & Nourshargh S. “Distinct compartmentalization of the chemokines CXCL1 and CXCL2 and the atypical receptor ACKR1 determine discrete stages of neutrophil diapedesis”. Immunity, 49: 1062-1076, 2018.
5. Barkaway A., Rolas L., Joulia R., Bodkin J., Lenn T., Owen-Woods C., Reglero-Real N., Stein M., Vazquez Martinez L., Girbl T., Poston R. N., Golding M., Saleeb R. S., Thiriot A., von Andrian U. H., Duchene J., Voisin M-B., Bishop C. L., Voehringer D., Roers A., Rot A., Lämmermann T. & Nourshargh S. “Age-related changes in the local inflammatory milieu cause aberrant neutrophil trafficking and subsequent remote organ damage”. Immunity, on-line, 2021.