In order to feed the global population by 2050, a 70% increase in food production is required. To meet these demands, our future food systems need to be resilient to erratic environmental fluctuations, arising from climate change, and global pandemics. Isoprenoid compounds represent the largest classes of natural products known. They are compounds of high value with multiple industrial uses. It has become evident that isoprenoids are important in enabling crop plants to tolerate biotic and abiotic stresses. In the present project we will elucidate how isoprenoids confer resistance to biotic and abiotic stresses at a molecular and biochemical level.
1. Nogueira, N., Enfissi, E.M.A., Maria Martinez, M., Menard, G.N.C., Driller, L., Eastmond, P.J., Schuch, W., Sandmann, G. and Fraser, P.D. (2017) A new plant-based source of ketocarotenoids for aquaculture feed. PNAS 114, 10876-10881.
2. Price, EJ., Drapal, M., Perez-Fons, L., Amah, D., Bhattacharjee, R., Heider, B., Rouard, M.,Swennen, R., Becerra Lopez-Lavalle, L.A. and Fraser, P.D. (2020). Metabolite database for root, tuber and Banana crops to facilitate modern breeding in understudied crops. The Plant Journal, 101, 6, 1258 -1268.
3. Almedia, J. Perez-Fons, L and Fraser, P.D. (2020). A transcriptomic, metabolomic and cellular approach to the physiological adaptation of tomato fruit to high temperature. Plant Cell and Environment, 1-19, doi.org/10.1111/pce.13854.
4. Enfissi, EMA., Drapal, M., Perez-Fons, L., Nogueira, M., Berry, HM., Almeida, J and Fraser, P.D. 2020. New Plant Breeding Techniques and their regulatory implications: An opportunity to advance metabolomics approaches, J. Plant Physiol. doi.org/10.1016/j.jplph.2021.153378.
5. Perez-Fons, L., Ovalle, T.M., Colvin, J., Becerra Lopez-Lavalle, L.A. and Fraser, P.D. (2020). The metabotyping of an East African cassava diversity panel: A core collection for developing biotic stress tolerance in cassava. PLoS ONE 15(11), e0242245, doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0242245.