Dormancy is an innate state of arrested growth that occurs across all life forms with plant seed dormancy being the key to adaptation and successful crop establishment upon abiotic stress and climate change. The overall aim of the project is to investigate the largely unknown molecular mechanisms underlying technologies to improve the quality of crop seeds with morphological dormancy (MD). Seed bio-technologies applied to vegetable seeds with MD alter their germination responses and their storability. Their underlying mechanisms will be investigated combining global gene expression analysis, mathematical modelling of abiotic stress responses, innovative imaging and biomechanics in an interdisciplinary approach.
• Chandler JO, Haas FB, Khan S, Bowden L, Ignatz M, Enfissi EMA, Gawtroph F, Griffiths A, Fraser PD, Rensing SA, Leubner-Metzger G (2020). Rocket Science: The effect of spaceflight on germination physiology, ageing, and transcriptome of Eruca sativa seed. Life 10:49
• Arshad W, Marone F, Collinson M, Leubner-Metzger G, Steinbrecher T* (2020). Fracture of the dimorphic fruits of Aethionema arabicum (Brassicaceae). Botany 98: 65-75 – https://doi.org/10.1139/cjb-2019-0014, *corresponding author
• Wilhelmsson PKI, Chandler J, Fernandez-Pozo N, Graeber G, Ullrich KK, Arshad W, Khan S, Hofberger J, Buchta K, Edgar PP, Pires C, Schranz E, Leubner-Metzger G*, Rensing SA* (2019). Usability of reference-free transcriptome assemblies for detection of differential expression: a case study on Aethionema arabicum dimorphic seeds. BMC Genomics 20:95. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12864-019-5452-4 – *shared corresponding authors
• Sperber K*, Steinbrecher T*, Graeber K, Scherer G, Clausing S, Wiegand N, Hourston JE, Kurre R, Leubner-Metzger G**, Mummenhoff K** (2017). Fruit fracture biomechanics and the release of Lepidium didymum pericarp-imposed mechanical dormancy by fungi. Nature Communications 8:1868 DOI: 10.1038/s41467-017-02051-9, *shared first authors, **joint corresponding authors
• Graeber K, Linkies A, Steinbrecher T, Mummenhoff K, Tarkowská D, Turečková V, Ignatz M, Sperber K, Voegele A, de Jong H, Urbanová T, Strnad T, Leubner-Metzger G (2014). DELAY OF GERMINATION 1 mediates a conserved coat-dormancy mechanism for the temperature- and gibberellin-dependent control of seed germination. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA 111(34): E3571–E3580, doi: 10.1073/pnas.1403851111